Pet Travel Scheme

If you’re looking for information on travelling with your pet to France or the EU, you’re at the right place! In 2021 the rules won’t change that much if you want to travel back to the UK from an EU-country, but it will be a little more complicated to leave the UK and enter France or the EU with your pet. What follows is a summary of the actuel post-Brexit reglementation. If you want more details, please consult the government website: www.gov.uk/pet-travel-to-and-from-great-britain. Thank you for your comprehension.

Pet Travel Scheme : entering the UK from France (or the EU)

The Pet Travel Scheme has been designed to allow animals such as dogs and cats to travel easily between countries and avoid quarantine but also to stop spreading rabies and other diseases.

From 1 January 2012, it is easier to travel abroad with pets. The new Brexit rules for 2021 aren’t much different. Tick treatment for pets returning to the UK are no longer required. Pets from the EU and listed non-EU countries (such as the USA and Australia) still need to be vaccinated against rabies, but they no longer need a blood test. A worming treatment has to be administered by an official veterinarian at least 24h and not more than 5 days before entering the UK.

What has changed though, is the British European Passport that is no longer valid. For leaving and entering the UK British pets will need an International Health Certificate from their veterinarian, issued and signed no more than 10 days before leaving the UK.

For more information


  • Is your pet identified with a microchip ?

  • Ensure your pet’s vaccinations are up-to-date before you’re leaving. A vaccination against rabies is obligated and after the vaccination you must wait 21 days before travelling to France or any other European country.

  • Does your pet has a valid European Pet Passport ? Important: European Passports delivered in the UK are not valid anymore starting from January 2021! If your Pet Passport isn’t valid anymore, you’ll need to ask an International Health Certificate at your Veterinary Clinic.

  • Even if it’s no longer obligated: check if your pet is treated against ticks and flees before you’re leaving. Also, it’s better to give them a worming tablet a few days before leaving.

  • If you want to return to the UK from France (or the EU), your pet must have been treated against tapeworm not less than 24 hours and not more than 5 days before travelling to the UK by a registered vet.